NGO Registration in Nepal
2 Feb 2020
This questionnaire covers the basic registration process of a Non-Governmental Organization (“NGO”) in Nepal. NGOs are registered at the District Administration Office (“DAO”) of the relevant district where the NGO is to be established. Further, tax registration must be done at the Inland Revenue Department following the completion of registration at the DAO. After the registration at the DAO, affiliation certificate can be obtained from the Social Welfare Council.
1) What are the governing laws of NGOs under Nepalese Legal system?
The governing laws for NGO are as follows:
- Social Welfare Act 1992;
- Associations Registration Act 1977; and
- Relevant guidelines adopted by the Social Welfare Council.
2) What is the procedure for NGO Registration in Nepal?
The general procedure for registration of NGOs is set out below:
Apply for Recommendation Letter from Local Level Ward Office
Submit Application to the Relevant District Coordination Committee for Certificate of Registration.
Obtain Registration Number from the NGO from District Administration Office
Obtain Affiliation Certificate from Social Welfare Council
Register for tax at the Inland Revenue Department and obtain PAN Certificate
Register at Local Level Ward Office
3) How many members are required for establishment?
Minimum of 7 members are required for registration.
4) What is the time for completion of the registration process?
The completion of the registration process after the fulfillment of all the requisite steps takes around 1 to 2 months.
5) What are the applicable government fees and charges?
The approximate governmental fee for registration is NPR 6,000 which may vary depending on the district and local level. The fees to be paid to the relevant governmental authorities are set out below:
Fees (In NPR)
2000 (May Vary from One Local Level to Another)
District Coordination Committee
District Administration Office
1000 (May Vary from one district to another)
Social Welfare Council
Inland Revenue Department
6) What are the documents required for registration?
The following documents are required for registration:
- Copy of resolution by board members resolving to establish the proposed NGO;
- Certified copy of citizenship certificate of all board members;
- Passport-sized photographs and copies of character report from Nepal Police of all members from the relevant districts;
- Proposed draft of memorandum and articles of association of the NGO (Bidhan);
- Rent agreement with the lessor of the location of the office of the NGO along with a copy of the citizenship certificate of the house owner; and
- Receipt of 3 months’ rent paid in advance as per the agreement with the house owner.
Disclaimer: This questionnaire is for informational purposes only and shall not be construed as legal advice, advertisement, personal communication, solicitation or inducement of any sort from the firm or any of its members. The firm shall not be liable for any consequence arising out of any action undertaken by any person relying on the information provided herein.
Contact Us Now
Phone: +977 9803888924, +977 9849093540
Location: 4th Floor, Gravity Center (Big Mart Complex), Anamnagar-29, Kathmandu 44600, Nepal
09:00 AM – 06:00 PM