Court Marriage in Nepal : Marriage Registration in Nepal
1 September 2019
This article describes the information related to different options of marriage registration in Nepal (Court Marriage in Nepal). The registration of marriage is governed by Chapter of Marriage of Civil Code 2017 (2074). Civil Code incorporates marriage related provisions from number 67 to number 84.
1. What are the procedure of Marriage Registration?
Marriage Registration can be done through three methods as mentioned:
- Marriage registration through court (“Court Marriage”)
- Marriage registration of couple who has already married through a social/religious rituals (“Receiving the Court Marriage Certificate Through Ward Office ”)
- Marriage Registration through Embassy or Consulate Office
2. Is there is compulsion to register the marriage ?
As per the Number 73 of Chapter of Marriage of Civil Code marriage should be compulsory registered either before court or before the concerned authority ( i.e. ward office or at Embassy of Nepal/Consulate Office). The authority should provide the marriage registration certificate within 15 days of submission of the application.
3. Is there is compulsion to register the marriage ?
Court marriage is applicable for the couple who has not traditionally married and intending to get married in legal way. For that purpose application should be submitted to District Court along with the documents mentioned in below table.
4. What is the procedure of receiving the marriage certificate through ward office?
Those couple who have married through the specific social/religious rituals should also compulsory register there marriage for the legal validity. For the said purpose they need to submit the application at ward office of their permanent resident. They should submit the evidence related to marriage done through the religious rituals.
5. Marriage Registration through Embassy or Consulate Office:
Pursuant to Number 76 and 77 of the Chapter of Marriage of Civil Code people residing at foreign can register the court marriage before the Embassy of Nepal or Consulate Office located at foreign country. Though the law has provided the marriage registration from the Embassy or Consulate Office however in practice there are no such instance of registration through the Embassy or Consulate Office.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and shall not be construed as legal advice, advertisement, personal communication, solicitation or inducement of any sort from the firm or any of its members. The firm shall not be liable for consequences arising out of any action undertaken by any person relying on the information provided herein.
Phone: +977 9803888924, +977 9849093540
Location: 4th Floor, Gravity Center (Big Mart Complex), Anamnagar-29, Kathmandu 44600, Nepal
09:00 AM – 06:00 PM